Purpose of Test: An echocardiogram (often called an echo) is an ultrasound that provides information about the size of the heart, the overall function and specific motion of each wall, the position and function of the 4 valves of the heart, and the speed of blood flow through the heart. It can be used to help diagnose abnormalities such as valve stenosis or regurgitation, heart attacks, disorders of the pericardium (the sack around the heart), weakness of the heart muscle and many other conditions.
- Weill Greenberg Center, 1305 York Avenue, 8th Floor, New York, NY 10021
(SW Corner of 70th Street & York Ave)
- Starr Pavillon, 520 East 70th Street, Room K-425, New York, NY 10021
(Between York Ave & East River. After entering the building, the Starr elevator bank is located to your left. Take the elevator to the 4th Floor. Make a right after you get off the elevator and follow the signs to K-425)
Arrival Time: Plan to arrive 20 minutes prior to appointment time
(646) 962-4733 – 1305 York Ave location
(212) 746-4650 – 520 E 70th St location
Duration of Test: ~ 30-45 minutes
Preparation for Test:
- Please arrive 15 minutes before the test.
- Please do not apply lotions, oils or powders to the chest area.
- You may take all medications.
- You may eat before the test.
What should I expect during the test?
- The test is usually performed in a darkened room.
- You will be asked to lie on your back, your left side and/or sit up.
- A lubricating gel will be applied to your skin over the heart area.
- A small smooth instrument (called a transducer) will be moved and/or tilted gently across your chest in various positions during the exam. The transducer picks up the sound waves from your heart and a live image of your heart is displayed on a TV monitor.
- At times during the exam you will hear a "swishing" sound (called Doppler) coming from the machine. This is the blood flow as it moves through the heart valves. There is no pain during the test, but on occasion the transducer must be pressed firmly against a rib for a short period of time.